Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Fundus Photgraphy Vs, Rentinal Image and other musings

Sorry I've been absent for a while.. things got busy for a bit and I'm wearing some IT hats right now

I ran into something today that made me laugh.  This is total HEDIS nerdy dorkyness but I thought you might enjoy this.   We had one of our health coaches ask about this procedure for the DREE measure(Dilated Retinal Eye exam) and should we allow it to be captured for HEDIS supplemental data in our disease management registry system.  She was asking about a “Ultra wide field retinal image” being used as a DREE.  Now this didn't ring any bells and a quick scan of the HEDIS CPT codes didn't turn anything up.  The clinical staff thought we shouldn't record it because it most likely isn't re-reimbursed by medicare.  Just on a hunch I did a Google search on “Ultra wide field retinal image” and "medicare". Sure enough I found this

http://www.optos.com/Global/documents/P200C_Brochure.pdf

A company called optos sell this optomap utra-widefield retinal imaging product and in their pdf they explain that this prodcut can be billed under CPT code 92250 for reimbursement with medicare.  A quick search in the HEDIS specs for DREE shows CPT code 92250 listed for DREE.

Now what is the description of CPT code?


FUNDUS PHOTOGRAPHY WITH INTERPRETATION AND REPORT.

Gotta love intuitive descriptions ...


I can now say I had some HEDIS FUNDUS today at work.

Enjoy,

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment